Renee Cotter, MD -  - Gynecologist

Renee Cotter, MD

Gynecologists located in San Fernando Valley, West Hills, CA

Incontinence Specialist

Incontinence can be both uncomfortable and embarrassing. The fact is, it can happen to almost anyone. Dr. Renee Cotter and her staff understand how the loss of bladder control can make you feel. At her office in West Hills, she offers many different treatment options to her patients who live in the greater San Fernando Valley, including both Valencia and Santa Clarita.

Incontinence Q & A

Renee Cotter, MD

What is urinary incontinence?

Urinary incontinence is a common problem for many women. This is a condition that becomes more common with age, menopause, and after childbirth. In fact, women are twice as likely as men to be diagnosed with this issue. Urinary incontinence is defined as a general loss of bladder control, though the condition has several unique variations.

What types of incontinence are there?

Stress incontinence is the sudden, unintentional loss of urine with everyday activities like coughing, sneezing, laughing, exercise, or sometimes just bending. Essentially, any movement that puts pressure on the bladder causes the urethra to lose its seal and allows urine to escape.

Urge incontinence is caused by uncontrolled contraction of the bladder muscle, creating an urgency to urinate and sometimes leaking before reaching the bathroom. This is commonly also referred to as overactive bladder syndrome. Symptoms often include feeling a strong urge to urinate even when there is little urine in the bladder.

Mixed incontinence is a combination of both stress and urge incontinence, and may be corrected with a combination of treatments advised by Dr. Cotter.

Neurogenic bladder incontinence is an uncommon form of incontinence that occurs due to nerve damage or brain/spinal cord conditions. Some conditions that commonly cause this type of incontinence are types of dementia, cerebral palsy, encephalitis, multiple sclerosis, and even ADHD.

How does Dr. Cotter treat incontinence?

Treatment depends on the type of incontinence, severity, and your lifestyle and preferences. Some treatments are as simple as exercise or medicine while other options include procedural or surgical correction.

Stress Incontinence: Dr. Cotter can treat this type of incontinence can often be treated by strengthening the pelvic floor through kegel exercise, or through surgical correction of the bladder and urethra. Surgical correction is done with a small, single incision in the vagina, through which she lifts the urethra back into position behind the pubic bone. This outpatient procedure will resolve 85% of stress incontinence symptoms, with improvement of symptoms for the majority of the remaining 15% of women.

Urge Incontinence: Treatment for this kind of incontinence is usually done by behavior modification and medication when necessary.

Neurological Bladder Incontinence: Treatment of this type of incontinence depends on the cause, but it is commonly treated with medication and kegel exercises.

Testimonials

Words from our patients

  • Healthgrades

    "I love Dr. Cotter. She is never rushed, explains everything in very clear detail and is genuinely caring."

    Kathy
  • Healthgrades

    "Incredible doctor. I feel so blessed to have found her. Very professional and experienced."

    Verified Patient
  • Yelp

    "She is so kind and compassionate, listened to my symptoms and was shocked no other Dr. had thought to look into this."

    Michelle B.
  • Yelp

    " Dr. Renee is a top surgeon - she helped both me and my mother - and, she stays up-to-date with the latest technology and medical procedures to keep women safe."

    Sally S.
  • Yelp

    "Very kind and professional. She was informative and attentive, and noted my issues with a reasonable treatment plan. Highly recommend her!"

    Mina R.
  • Yelp

    "Most importantly, I trust Dr. Cotter. She's warm, caring, thorough, and answers all questions in detail."

    Judi F.
  • Yelp

    " Dr. Cotter makes me feel like I am a person and not just another patient. I would recommend her office to anyone!!!"

    Shirley I.
Location
Renee Cotter, MD
7320 Woodlake Ave, Suite 160
San Fernando Valley

West Hills, CA 91307
Phone: 818-208-4280
Fax: 818-887-5577
Office Hours

Get in touch

818-208-4280

Renee Cotter, MD
7320 Woodlake Ave
Suite 160
West Hills, CA 91307